Brainy Quote

Monday 18 January 2010

Commitment problem

Today I learnt something new about myself: I take my commitment too seriously. I wanted to drop my Presentation course but I stayed with my team till 8 to give them key practice. I had 3 other friends waiting for dinner. I could have excused myself at 6.30 and finished a pending report, enjoyed an early dinner and also have good night's sleep. BUT I had to stay to help them. That was not enough, I walked 1.5miles in cold within 30 minutes to reach dinner place by 8.30 because I had promised that.

I felt guilty on both the occasion. Reason: I had promised. I realized that things have to change drastically for me to not keep my commitment. I think it is difficult if I over-commit but I have to let go when it is stretching me thin. I need to learn that.

However, the realization made me very upset because it was opposite to what I was told i.e. I am not wholly committed and I might not stand-by in time of need. Yes, I am highly critical of people near me because what they do affect me and I can help them to be better. But I am with them whenever they need me.

Misunderstood is common to me by now. I am not much bothered about it now. I know I am nice to people, I care for everyone- selflessly and for people near to me I am ready to sacrifice myself. It does not hurt when the sacrifice is not realized but when they are not even considered.

What do I do? Do not commit to0 much in work or in relationship - not at the cost of yourself because all I have in the end is myself. I am glad to learn that I am staunchly loyal to people, I am their biggest supporter and their biggest critic.

No comments: